Support To Students With Disabilities
Location of ARCSWiD
ARCSWiD is situated within the Learner Support & Student Affairs portfolio and is one of the three directorates under the Dean of Students with Student Development and Student Funding being the others.
Vision of ARCSWiD
The vision of ARCSWiD is to be the leading provider of quality services for students with disabilities registered with UNISA.
Mission of ARCSWiD
In line with UNISA’s Strategy, the mission of ARCSWiD is to create an enabling teaching and learning environment that will lead to the full participation and equalisation of opportunities for students with disabilities.
We currently have two focus areas and these are:
Student Support and Administration
- Registering Students with disabilities
- Producing study material in alternative formats
- Providing academic support interventions
- Transcribing assignments and exam scripts
- Providing sign language interpretation services
Advocacy and Training
- Implementing facilitation of learning training programmes
- Commissioning/Conducting research
- Implementing Community Outreach programmes
What services can students with disabilities receive from ARCSWiD?
- Referrals to career and counseling services
- Assistance in completing application forms during registration
- Assistance with fee reduction applications
- Assistance in motivating for assistive devices and access technology equipment
- Study guides and tutorial letters in either Braille, large-print, electronic or audio formats
- Electronic versions of prescribed books obtained on request from publishers
- Interventions with academic departments
- Advice on assistive devices and access technology
- Sign Language Interpretation services for deaf students
- Orientation and Mobility assistance for blind and partially-sighted students
- Advice on low-vision devices for partially-sighted students
- Referrals to relevant service providers and civil society organizations
- Referrals to the Library Disability Work group for recommended textbooks in electronic format
We Care, We Develop, We Support!
For more info visit the school website